Jun 8, 2012

A cheap gaming mouse for 10 dollars

My Gigabyte GM-M6980 ceased to function due to a "fall". Having to go back to a Logitech K200 mouse for gaming proved difficult. While waiting for the warranty exchange, I thought of getting a temporary gaming mouse.

It was either the newly launched Sensonic Orthros 2 for 17 dollars, non laser and switchable DPI of 800/1200/1600/2400. Another option was a Gigabyte laser mouse GM-M6880 version 1 for around the same price. But it only had two switchable DPI, 800/1600.

I ruled out the gigabyte as with my existing gigabyte mouse it had the same form which wasn't really comfortable for my hand in long hours. The Orthros 2 had a nice form which would be comfortable for my hands. But it was non laser.

Eventually I chose the cheapest one I could get, yes I'm a cheapskate. The G-Shark GS-M570G laser gaming mouse because it was 10 dollars! ( 9.50 dollars to be exact ) and laser with switchable DPI too. But primarily because it was cheap. Warranty is only for 3 months though.....

Let's see, feature wise.

Pros
  • 3 Switchable DPI 800/1600/2400 ( Switch button )
  • 6 Keys ( including 2 side keys and the scroll wheel pushes right.)
  • Switch life 3million ( but what would you expect for 10 )
  • Non-slip rubber coating for the click buttons
  • Nice Ergonomics
  • Ambidextrous, not really you would lose the side keys if your a leftie.
  • Solid enough build ( Surprised me )
Cons
  • Default Usb polling rate of 125hz ( slightly noticing it from using a 1000hz rate mouse )
  • Could have been a bit more heavier ( still weighty though than your average mouse )


   ( Left to Right: Decent looking box, opened and the insides ( hmm ). )

Big box eh? The only thing inside is the mouse, yes only the mouse. Drivers used were default windows mouse. After a week of use, it has been very good for my hands. No more pain because of the ergonomics although sometimes it does feel a little bit small.

Usb polling rate is windows default 125hz. Your going to need Hidusbf mod to be able to adjust it. There is a slight noticeable difference, but negligible I believe. It's just that being use to using a 1000hz polling rate with the Gigabyte m6980 mouse you tend to notice small changes.

And here are pictures of the mouse.


Non Slip Rubber
Teflon Padding
The name, yeah I know.







 






Nope, the yellow DPI isn't glowing it's just painted, the camera flash brought out the yellowness.
 

Simple & nothing flashy. Get's the job done
Side by side to my Logitech K200



*Update 14th June 2012
So I've been using it for about 2 weeks or so. Checking windows update there was a driver update for the mouse. The win 7 devices also says its a Laserstream device. Guess what, it's using an Avago Laser sensor. Well I guess almost all mouses use Avago sensors be it Laser or Optical.

*Update 11th September 2013
You might want to get the Sensonic Orthros 2 because it has a 1000hz usb polling rate. The g-shark had a default polling rate of 125hz which was laggy.

The choice of between lasers and optical sensors is a non issue for me anymore.


This is a nice list of what sensors are being used by some mouse. Made by some forum people.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AosJbEwEG9GpdEpBMGc1ZXo0S3BLQm1YQ09jeVZ6bEE&w=100&h=650

4 comments:

  1. Hello there. I've a question regarding the g-Shark laser gaming mouse gs-m570g, since you've seem to be using it for quite a long time. Based on your personal experience, is the mouse good for gaming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I think I used it for a month. I still keep it as my backup mouse. It's good enough for gaming at the price point. It performed just fine compared to my gigabyte which was twice the price.

      The only con for me is the USB polling rate is only 125hz since I'm used to using 1000hz. The delay is noticeable but not a game breaker.

      125hz is the normal polling rate in all basic mouse like office type mouse.

      But I really recommend the Sensonic Orthros 2 over the g-shark, for 15dollars you get.

      -2400/1600/1200/800 switchable dpi
      -7 buttons with multimedia controls
      -1000Hz (1ms) usb polling rate
      -Braided cable
      -1 year limited warranty

      Form factor wise, they are about the same. Always get the most comfortable for your hands. Also, when using high dpi mouse make sure to get a decent mouse pad so the mouse wont pixel skip or jitter. A gigabyte mp8000 pad at around 10usd last time I checked at local store is nicely priced.

      Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the advice~

      Delete
  2. If you’re on the tight end of a budget here, MysteryBlock is here to help. In this list are the best gaming mice we could find that aren’t necessarily top-tier. That means mice that run well under $60 and still do the job for you. — cheap gaming mouse | best budget gaming mouse

    ReplyDelete